Thursday 4 July 2019

Who ordered the Rainbow?




I'll begin this next blog with the TL:DR version!

Caroline and Ranald on the beach with me nearr Harvest Moon Holidays in East Lothian. I can organise the rainbow if you want one, but I'll need some notice ...

I decided to dip into my photo archives, and this one jumped out at me.

This ceremony took place in September 2017. When Caroline and Ranald first contacted me and told me they had their heart set on an outdoors ceremony (and no wonder, the beach was gorgeous) I did enquire as to their "Plan B". It goes without saying that you don't organise anything outdoors in Scotland, especially a wedding without a Plan B that kicks in if - or more likely when - it rains.

I was assured that there was indeed a Plan B. It wasn't until I arrived that I discovered that the Plan B was about half a mile from where the ceremony was taking place, as these next pictures show.



Plan B in the distance aka the Marquee.


To get from the Marquee to the beach, you have to head over the hill....


Across the dunes....


Something in the distance...



Turn left at the lone piper...



If ye walk into the river, ye've gone too far....


On a clear day, you can see the nuclear power station. Useful for getting your bearings from a fixed landmark right enough.


Finally! Plan A.


Not much shelter, as we will soon see...

But now we can begin the ceremony.


And of course, Caroline has barely arrived when it starts to rain. 

Turns out the real Plan B was a large number of assorted umbrellas - which actually someone forgot to bring over and the fittest Ushers had to bolt back to the accommodation just as it began to rain. Nice work guys!


Unfortunately, there weren't enough umbrellas for everyone. This is the closest that a Humanist Celebrant comes to martyrdom. In any case, my motto is "The Show Must Go On". 

I'm also looking remarkably sanguine, given my suit is brand new (can't resist a wee plug for Slaters Menswear in Glasgow for all of your ceremony wear needs. Hope you're reading this Ralph).



Drying out surprisingly quickly after the event!

Many of the guests had made the journey north from Englandshire, where sadly Humanist Ceremonies aren't yet legal so they hadn't experienced one before.

It has to be said, this was a fantastic introduction to the genre.

I was even asked by one of Ranald's friends and his wife to be if I would conduct their ceremony, that they were planning to have in Cornwall!

Finally, I'd like to extend a massive thanks to Andrew Ridgway, (http://ridgway.photography/) the photographer who not only captured the stunning rainbow shot, but very kindly sent these pics on for me to use.










No comments:

Post a Comment